Whitemarsh and White Horse Face-off in First Match of the Season

Philly Whitemarsh and Phoenixville White Horse

Due to relentless rain throughout the week, the match between Philadelphia Whitemarsh RFC and Phoenixville White Horse Rugby Club was moved from Memorial Hall Field to the home turf of Phoenixville, Friendship Field. Playing their first game in Division 2 of the Mid-Atlantic Conference, Phoenixville looked to make it clear that the promotion was well-deserved. Whitemarsh, on the other hand, hoped to show that, despite a slow preseason and a myriad of new faces breaking the starting XV, the club had not lost a step from their previous season.

After 80 minutes of gritty effort, highlighted by a strong defensive effort from Whitemarsh, the scoreboard showed 32-10 in favor of PWRFC.

Similar to last weekend’s scrimmage in New Haven, Whitemarsh came out of the gates quickly with a try. Initiated with a line out near Whitehorse’s 22 meter line, PW ran two phases to get the ball wide to PW’s veteran full back, Jim Champion, for a try at the 3’ mark. The next ten minutes of play were dominated by defensive play from Whitemarsh, continuously pushing back the Whitehorse offense. 

Whitemarsh's Number 10, Tom Burn, set the defensive line and created constant pressure on the opponents back line. Scrum half and assistant captain, Taylor Hurff, was soon able to tack on two penalty kicks at the 15’ and 18’ marks. The final score of a dominating first half was set up by a long run from Nick Hunter and finished by Gary Spencer with 7 minutes left to play. 

With an offensive scrum near Whitehorse’s try line, the second half started in a similar fashion to the first. Just two minutes into the final 40’, Bryan McCorkle charged over the try line and a true conversion from Hurff made the score 25-0. Shortly after, Whitehorse was able to put points on the board with a penalty kick from Liam Gibbons.

The second half also brought about two gentlemen making their Philadelphia Whitemarsh debut, Jack Hicklin and Kevin Chao. Jack was also able to make his scoring debut by pushing one over the try line with 18’ left in the half. Each team traded field position to finish the game with Whitehorse putting in their first try in division two at the 78’ mark.

With a weekend hiatus until their next league match with Old Gaelic on September 29th, Whitemarsh looks to continue to grow the momentum this weekend with an exhibition against Wharton RFC at Memorial Hall.

Article by: Ryan McLean