PWRFC 3-1 with Big Win over Lancaster Roses

PWRFC vs. Lancaster

The matchup between PWRFC and the Lancaster Roses Rugby Club was blessed by the teams’ first taste of fall weather at La Salle College High School in Wyndmoor, PA. Philadelphia Whitemarsh looked to improve their performance on both sides of the ball, coming off a sloppy win against North Penn, while Lancaster hoped to take home a W following a 19 point loss to the Doylestown Dragons. In the end, strong defense and maintaining possession allowed PWRFC to walk away with a 47-12 victory, improving to 3-1 on the season.

Whitemarsh got out to a strong start on Saturday by keeping play in Lancaster’s half of the pitch. A strong run by Conway Maraki, a cheeky kick Conor Mularkey, and a powerful finish from veteran loosehead Jason Ulikowski led to PWRFC’s first try at the 8’ mark. After a quick penalty kick by Taylor Hurff at 10’, the score was 8-0 in favor of Whitemarsh. Following a stolen defensive lineout, Whitemarsh was able to run a number of forward phases, resulting in another front row try from Max Baughman at 17’. Just five minutes later, Louis Tulio was able to finish a try off two phases from a PWRFC lineout deep in Roses’ territory. The remainder of the first half saw Whitemarsh’s stingy defense hold off continuous attacks from the Lancaster forwards. After 40 minutes of play, PWRFC led the Roses 20-0.

The second half began with a penalty kick from Taylor Hurff, but PWRFC was not able to break the try line again until the 56’ mark. Louis Nabhan was able to knock the ball loose with the Roses on their back foot; the try was finished near the touch line by flyhalf Thomas Burns. Whitemarsh was able to get momentum rolling again in the 2nd half, with tries coming in quick succession from Louis Tulio and Gary Spencer at 63’ and 65’. The first coming a phase after a Whitemarsh lineout in Lancaster territory and the second following a long run from workhorse and man of the match, Chris Karas, finished with a highlight reel pass from Bryan McCorkle to Spencer. The Roses refused to go home empty handed as they were able to punch in two tries within the last 15 minutes of the game. Though, as time expired, Louis Nabhan was able to punch in a final try for PWRFC.

Whitemarsh looks forward to a tough matchup at home this weekend against the Doylestown Dragons and hope to ride the momentum coming off a strong team performance.

Article by: Ryan McLean